2005-01-07

Too Many Laws

One of my biggest beefs about this country is vast number of laws. Laws are needed for a civilized society, but when there is a point where it becomes too much.

I will submit that our country is one that almost every citizen is, if all truth be known, according the the law, guilty of at least one criminal offence (remember that's one for EACH of your MP3's...). I would also submit that a very large portion of these people would be guilty of one or more felonies. In fact, as for those of us who try to make a point of knowing the law well (like myself), we begin to realize that not only is it exceedingly easy to commit a "serious" violation accidentally, it is at times difficult not to. The more you know about the law and the more you realize how much the government can do to you if you slip up, the more paranoid you get. It seems that in some way, they ARE out to get you.

This nation needs a major change. It's time we stop putting behind bars those who try their best to abide by the law and contribute to society and labeling them "felons." Something is wrong when a vast majority of the population can be called "criminal" or "felon." I am seeing way too many good people who do their best to follow the law have their lives destroyed by the government (like a man who is facing two felony charges for NOT shooting someone, ask in a comment if you want to know more).

I heard of a book the other day that talks about this. I have not read it but I am thinking about getting a copy. Here is a link to it:

http://www.catostore.org/index.asp?fa=ProductDetails&method=cats&scid=33&pid=1441226

Just so you know: I believe that most people in prison are most likely there for a valid reason. I just seems to me that too many good people are being slammed behind bars for stupid reasons, and I believe that people should not have to be constantly afraid that they might accidentally break the law and have to go to prison (do you know what going to prison would do to your family?). I don't like that if I am facing six men claiming they are armed and claiming they are going to kill me, I have to be more afraid of what the government will do to me if I defend myself (or how much the lawyer will cost) than I am afraid of what the six men will do if I don't. It almost seems better to take my chances with the bullet in my chest and hope the ER can save my life. That's WRONG.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! I posted this elsewhere a few months ago. We have laws on the books for everything. Then the feds come in a make new laws for the same crime. Many times if you win at the state level, the feds come in and charge you on the fed level just to make damn sure you go to jail. The feds have a 90+% win rate. Not because you are always guilty but many times you never get a fair trial at the federal level.

http://www.givemeliberty.org/

I followed the Richard Simkanin case very closely. He did not get a fair trial. If he did he would have won. The link above has many examples of how the feds and the IRS play dictator instead of abiding by the laws. This is a Constitutional Republic not a Democracy. There are many other examples.

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home