2005-12-01

Minuteman Project: October Weekend 1

For the month of October I was offered the position of "Weekend Line Leader" for the Huachuca/Naco sectors. Montana, the Security Supervisor in September is now the Sector Chief for the Huachuca sector, and "Scorpion," a German immigrant, is now the Sector Chief for the Naco sector. During the week, Montana's husband "Whiskey-Alpha" is the Line Leader and I take over for him when I get in on Fridays.

Well, the first thing that happens when I arrive on my first Friday at the Huachuca line is a smiling Montana shoving a Generation 3 night vision monocular at me. WOW are those things great! ITT (www.nightvision.com) donated 6 Gen 3 scopes for us to use for the month. Montana signed for them, so she deserves a lot of the credit too!

I take my Gen 3 scope and start the rounds with Montana as Stallion will not be getting in until the next day. We start visiting posts and Montana mentions that a white Volvo had driven up the Huachucas a while before I arrived, and indicated that it was still up there. The driver stopped at one of our posts and verbally attacked our volunteers, then continued up the mountain. She did not remember what type of car we had seen in September, so it had not yet been called in. I confirmed that it was the same car, and we contacted Comms to call her in. This could be it!

On only my second post I had to go look for a volunteer that had left his post. Montana stayed with the volunteer who had remained at the post while I went looking for the one who had left. I found him at the next post over- it ended up being an honest miscommunication, and it was all sorted out in the end. Besides, I got some good time on the Gen 3. Anyway, he and the volunteers at that post were talking to the Sheriff who had responded about the Volvo. We told him that she had cussed out the volunteers and proceeded up the mountain. He made sure we understood that cussing people out is rude but is not a crime. We informed him that the reason we called her in was because we suspect that she is picking up drugs, so he decided to go check it out.

A bit later that night I was walking the line and I came to the entrance to a gated community. I stuck around for a few minutes just looking around and checking out the path ahead of me. I am armed, but alone- I would very much prefer to not run into anyone. Suddenly I hear a noise only feet behind me. It was a very odd noise, something moving in the bushes. Then I hear a sound, almost a growling. Imagining a rabid dog jumping out for my throat, I almost drew my weapon (personally, I am armed more for protection from animals than drug runners). Then imagining an ACLU member jumping out at me, I decided to risk my life and leave my weapon alone, and back off slowly instead. I quietly called it in on the radio and asked for someone to meet me. Whisky-Alpha was not far away and began to head my direction. I kept an eye on the area. I had a good view, but when Whiskey-Alpha got there we lit up the area and found nothing. I don't know how it got by me... My best guess is that it was a Javelina, we saw a few of them in September at Montana's, Whiskey-Alpha's and Scorpion's post.

We crossed the street and watched the area for a while to see if anyone or any thing left the bushes that we might have missed. We were about to leave to the next post when Whiskey-Alpha noticed that car had been sitting at the entrance to the gated community for a few minutes. We watched as several cars passed it, opening the gate to go in. Still it remained there. Knowing that this is a known drug area, I rolled tape and decided to cross the street to see if I could get the plate. Unfortunately I could not, I just couldn't get the angle. Several minutes later a silver pickup came out of the gated community and parked along side the car. People got out of each car, appeared to exchange some stuff, and returned to their vehicles. We immediately called it in. As we did, the truck returned into the community and the car left. I was unable to get the plate, but it was a red Neon.

As I was showing Border Patrol the footage of this incident, another post spotted flashlights in their area. I informed the Border Patrol Agent. We agreed that it was most likely locals or some other legitimate thing, but since he was there I decided to tell him and let him do with the information what he will.

Montana and Whiskey-Alpha were kind enough to offer me a place to stay for the nights during October, so I didn't have to sleep in the Winnebago. After the shift I followed them to their house. As far as I knew, the Sheriff that had followed the Volvo up the mountain earlier in the night was still up there.

The next day we checked out the area and set the line that night. The second night was uneventful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home