2006-12-31

3000th Death

Today I see reports all over the news of the 3000th American soldier to die in the Iraq war. 3000 families in America have had their lives changed forever as their son, daughter, mother or father will never return.

I would like to take the time to remember the people who died in our nation's history for the values we hold dear.

During the "Civil War," 620,000 Americans and Confederates were killed.

During the single battle of Gettysburg, 46,000 Americans and Confederates were killed.

African Slavery killed 6,000,000 people.

The Holocaust killed 11,000,000 people.

WWII killed 55,000,000 people.

Vietnam killed 1,100,000 North Vietnamese, and 58,202 American soldiers.

Gulf War Syndrome has killed 9,500 Americans.

Freeing Iraq has killed 3000 American soldiers.

Almost every number listed above is an estimate, and therefore not every human life was accounted for. Unfortunately this is impossible to do. That said, every individual listed above was a human life, each one God loved enough to sacrifice His own son.

These numbers do one thing though. They put into perspective what war is, and what war can be. They put into perspective the reality of this situation - America has conquered a nation while taking under 1000 American deaths and held it long enough to give it back to its own people while taking ONLY 3000 deaths.

Do I disrespect the dead by saying ONLY? Absolutely not. I honor them and their bravery and professionalism by pointing out how well our Armed Forces has done. Show me another time in history where such a victory has been achieved.

And by fighting this evil, these 3000 brave men and woman who have died did so to protect the civilians back here in the United States (including the media who take every opportunity to disrespect them by saying that their deaths were not worth it), to protect and give freedom to the Iraqi people, and to protect Israel and therefore the stability of the entire region (because if Israel is ever forced to fight, they WILL win).

I am open about my opinions on how this war could have, or perhaps should have, been fought differently. But the cause and reason for fighting this was is just - put a stop to evil, and die for freedom. There is a time for war, there is a time to win, and this is it. It's before the millions die. There is no doubt that these 3000 brave and professional men and women who died have saved millions. Just look at history.

I can only hope that our nation is not so weak that we quit too early, only postponing the real war that looms on the horizon. I can hope, but I am doubtful. Our nation is weak. We are weak to the point where we would rather lose than fight "... if it saves the life if just one child...". It's about to get a whole lot worse than 3000 deaths, because we as a nation are in denial of reality. Just look at history.

Personally I have not been called to battle. I have been called to sit at our border with only a 9mm for protection against full-auto AK47 machine guns which occasionally rattle off in the distance, but I have not seen battle. I have been called to design the weapons that our soldiers will use, but I have not had to use them myself. There is little I can respect more than an American who willingly allows themselves to be put in a situation where they will have to use these weapons to not only defend themselves, but defend their fellow Americans, and fellow humans, from evil. And though I know that we free Americans only use our freedom to vote to vote our freedoms away, if I am ever called to battle, and if I die, I can only hope that it will be with the same bravery, and for such a cause, as not only these 3000 soldiers have fought, but the millions who have fought and died giving us the freedoms we have.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

An alternative viewpoint:

http://www.house.gov/paul/tst/tst2002/tst041502.htm

Did our nation's founding fathers intend for America to become the world's policemen?

You said, "But the cause and reason for fighting this was is just - put a stop to evil, and die for freedom. There is a time for war, there is a time to win, and this is it. It's before the millions die. There is no doubt that these 3000 brave and professional men and women who died have saved millions...." Does this refer to millions of Americans or millions of people in the middle east?

People all over the world empower their governments and give up their natural freedom in exchange for a false sense of security. When they suffer they call for even more government power to soothe them. This excess of government power invariably leads to corruption, tyranny, and death. Its been said that people ultimately get the government they deserve. Look at how Chavez is becoming dictator in Venezuela, it is only possible because the people ask for it. Sure we could put a stop to it now and take out Chavez, but what's to stop the people from bringing another dictator to power to replace Chavez? Only when the people have suffered under tyranny long enough will they realize the importance of limited government and individual liberty. And I believe America's interventionist policies are hindering the natural learning process for the rest of the world.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Calan said...

Randomguy,

Actually, I agree with you. And Ron Paul rocks. It's a complicated thing, actually.

First I absolutely do not think that this nation was intended to police the world. I believe we should be looking after our own interests, and let other countries look after theirs. However, because of my religious beliefs, I have pity on this country the day we turn our backs on Israel.

The point I was trying to make is that this war can save lives IF we see it through, which I don't think we will. The reason we won't isn't because we realize that it's not our business, but its because our nation (not our military) is made of cowards. I would fully support the idea of pulling our forces out of Iraq and the Middle East completely if we just would have the guts to support Israel and any decision they made to conquer or destroy the entire area. Or if they decide not to, it's their business not ours. But again, we'd cave to world pressure because we are cowards.

You asked if I was talking about American lives, and the answer to that would be that I simply don't know. Could be... But yes, that does make a difference. Let me try to explain my viewpoint a little more:

Is this a just war? Yes, depending on your point of view. I believe this is a just war in that the cause is moral. And although it may be a morally justified war, I do not believe that the American government had the authority to wage it, at least in the form that they did.

Are the deaths "worth it?" As I pointed out in my post, yes. But again, it sort of depends on what you mean by "worth it." I believe that the lives that were lost CAN save other innocent lives, and therefore my answer is YES, they did not die in vein. However, I don't believe that the American government has the authority to force these people to give their lives for another country (especially one which may be more free than it was, but still is far less free than our own so-called free nation). In this way, I would say that may have not been "worth it" to force these people to fight and die. They should be fighting for their own country, and I am not sure this is the case in this war.

I also should clarify that I believe that there is no freedom that we should give up, no matter how small, for any measure of security, no matter how large. Mainly this is because I believe that if we have to give up a freedom for a security, that security is false. And I also believe that the source of true security comes from freedom itself. If any freedoms are removed, then the reality is that our security has been compromised.

So, I do not believe we should be fighting this war, even though I believe that war itself is justified. At most, it should have been fought very differently, or by someone else. But since we are in it, I believe that we should win, or stand behind Israel and support them to victory. And because war itself is in fact justified, the men and women who have died did so honorably, are deserving of our respect, and did not die in vein. Their deaths have saved human life, so long as we stick to it, so their deaths were worth it - even if the government should have never asked them to die in the first place.

The reason I didn't mention this in my post was simply because this isn't the point I wanted to make, at least not with this post. That's what the rest of my blog is dedicated to doing...

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home